“Food is what we are. It speaks for us. It stays with us. When we have lost everything else, the memories of food keep us going.” says Lathika George, author of the book The Suriani Kitchen.
The kid has a list –
- Butter chicken from a hole in the wall place at Manali
- Beef pepper fry from Seagull restaurant at Fort Kochi
- Pancakes from Old Kent Estate, Coorg
- Kadai chicken from Tandoor restaurant at Kochi
- Egg curry from my aunt’s home in Trivandrum
- Chicken momos from my cousin’s place in Bangalore
- Egg bajjis from the roadside vendor at Kadavanthara junction at Kochi
- Cream buns from Anns restaurant, everything his grandfather makes and counting… – the tastiest dishes he has had to date. I am yet to get a mention on this honour roll😊
Food is one of the most cherished memories from childhood. And nothing says this better than the scene in the movie Ratatouille, when the food critic Ego tastes the Ratatouille made by Remy the rat and is instantly transported to his childhood; his mom’s cooking.
My food memories begin from my grandmother’s home in Punalur, Kerala. She always made us snacks for the evening. Looking back I don’t know how she managed to make something every evening, considering that she also had to manage breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fast forward to present and I do not relish the prospects of making an evening snack; if really hungry, we will make do with the leftovers from breakfast or snack on something bought from bakery.
And it is at my grandmother’s home that I first saw, heard and tasted toasts – French toast and Bombay toast. Both are easy to make treats and everyone loves them.
I remember grandmother’s handheld aluminium toaster with wooden handle that she used for the Bombay toast; I have a non-stick one now. Sometimes, she let us hold the toaster and we’d love turning them over the blue gas flame…and we kept asking her if it’s done…how much longer?
I make toasts for breakfast. Between the bread pieces is a generous portion of masala omelette; sometimes a slice of Amul cheese is also added – much tastier😋.
French toasts are easier to make, sweet and a must have straight from the hot pan.
Toasts – a cherished memory for me !! But then everyone has their list of best food ever and people love talking about it 🍕❤️.
Till next post, take care !!